Sunday, June 26, 2011

Things: Things I Like in Seoul *

*Things:  I borrow the title from my friend Susan and her posts by the same name, which are all a delight to read.  I have no idea how things I'll be able to cover in my time here, but I'll cover at least a few. 

(Part One only, as I have a lot to say about these first few things ;-)  )


1.      Door Locks: 
a.       First, all the entrances to my building are granted through a security code and fingerprint scan.  This is cool.  Granted, it is also apparently one of the things that people seek in a new building in Korea, and it’s not unique to here.  Still, it’s cool.  No keys!
b.      We carry this door lock/security code theme to the front door:  I never need a key to my apartment.  It’s just code based.  And every time I enter the code, I hear a polite Korean voice tell me something, and the door is unlocked. (I’m guessing it’s, “Welcome Home,” but it could be “Wipe your feet”---still little time to study a new language.)   (Yes, for the first several days, I had to carry around my cheat sheet with the codes.  The entrance to the building requires the following:  key in five digits, scan fingerprint, key in four digits.  To gain access to my apartment, I have a separate five-digit code.)
c.       Ah, so that’s how you get in, but what about leaving?  And so I found myself trapped in my apartment that first afternoon---not because I was locked in, but because I had no idea how to lock anyone else out once I left.  I tried the code, and no, that didn’t do it.  I turned the switch inside.  Still no effect.  I think I might have even done a dance.  Nope, still nothing.  Okay, so no walk for me.  (“No soup for you!”)

Ah, but S to the rescue!  When she met me at my apartment later that first evening, I explained my confusion, and she, oh-so-tactfully, refraining from any “seriously, you don’t know how to lock the front door?  Silly blonde American” comments or even looks, demonstrated how to lock the door:  from the outside: just lift up on the handle.  Presto.  Chango.  It’s that easy, and it’s locked.  J
d.      Ah, but here’s the awesome part:  instead of having to follow people out the door (I still don’t know if I can walk in the front entry hall in my slippers or if I’m supposed to leave the slippers in the hallway and put on street shoes for that area), anyone familiar with the building knows how to lock the door behind them.  And they do!  Think---if you’ve a guest who leaves earlier than you, no need to wake early to lock the door behind them.  They can do it!  I love this part.

2.      Speaking of slippers….
a.       Okay, so I wasn’t sure I’d like this.  But I’m really getting into the super clean floors.  Indeed, it is custom to take your shoes off when entering someone’s home.  I forgot when I arrived at the first accommodation, but without a thought, JW and his assistant both slipped right out of their shoes and padded across the floor in their socks.  Me, with the egg of a faux pas chicken on my face, sheepishly walked back to the entry way and stepped out of my shoes, making apologies.  They understood.
b.      Ah, but I like my feet bare.  It seems, however, Koreans do not.  My apartment had two pair of “guest slippers” stationed at the front entry.  I have adopted one of those as my own, as I don’t often wear slippers, did not bring any, and the ones provided by Delta on the flight over are not very comfortable.  When I answer the door or enter with anyone else, I step out of my shoes and into said slippers.  But I will admit:  as soon as I am alone, it’s bare feet.  Hey, that’s how I roll.  (but let’s keep that between us, okay?)
c.       Of course, most people wear socks, so this is not an issue.  But my tootsies like the fresh air of summer, so once we get past, oh, about March 1, just about the only time I’m in socks is when I’m in sneakers.  Otherwise, if my feet are in shoes, my toes are likely out in the open too, wriggling, basking in sun, and showing off their polish.  (Besides, I am wearing a lot of dresses this summer, and who wears socks with dresses?  No way, Jose.  (I realize that none of you are, indeed, Jose.  But that’s a reference to a book I just read on the flight out for my book club: the award-winning novel Room by Emma Donoghue.  Fantastic read!  Other than “No way, Jose” I also cannot quit thinking to myself, “And the worms crawl in, and the worms crawl out.”  Um Hm – got you curious about the book now, didn’t I? ;-)   ))
d.      You:  But, Jana, if you take off your shoes at the front door (and we know how many shoes you have (and even if you took only ten percent of what you have, that’s still a LOT)), don’t you have cluttered piles of shoes at the front door?  Me:  nope.  My apartment has floor-to-ceiling built-in, concealed closets in the front entry way---enough room to hold all of my shoes---even the ones sitting in the closet in Flor-i-da---plus more.  There is also a full-length mirror in the front entry so that one may see how her shoes match her dress.  The Donald’s designers thought of everything, I tell you. 
(once more:  graci to Susan as I borrow her style.  ;-)   )
e.       Again, You:  So will we have to take off our shoes now when we come to your house?  Me:  Hmmmm….  I have some friends who do this (how’s that coming along, years later, Heather?), and I *do* love the idea of cleaner floors.  Of course, Howard runs outside bare-paw, so he has no shoes to remove when dashing in the house.  Further, many people at home wear closed shoes with *no* socks, and we all know, that can make for some stinky-puwee feet.  Would I rather have some dirt tracked in or stink tracked in?  I’m going to have to ponder this one. 
 
3.      Elevator coolness
a.       Once you get on the elevator and select a floor, if you’ve inadvertently hit the incorrect button, you can hit it again, and it—get this---cancels that floor!  Genius, people!  Seriously, is there anyone who hasn’t accidently hit a floor between where you are and where you want to be?  Granted, this would ruin the mischievous game of many young children who scamper about the elevators of tall buildings, hitting all floors’ buttons before dashing out as an adult enters the elevator.  No longer begin such a mischievous child (and not that I ever would admit having ever been one.  No way, Jose), I’m okay with that.
b.      But wait, there’s more.  You may know that Monsoon season is here.  With beautiful marble-type floored elevators, this could create quite a mess---and quite a tort-waiting-to-happen with dripping umbrellas creating puddles of water just waiting to be slipped in, yes?  Ah, but they’ve a clever solution:  so far, each elevator I’ve been in (okay, that’s a grand total of, um, four.  I realize I cannot make sweeping assumptions about all of Seoul based on my entry in four elevators (and only three if we’re talking when it is raining, which we are)… Where was I?  Oh yes:  So far, each elevator I’ve been in has had a premade, custom-fitted carpet that is placed in the elevator when it is raining.  Again:  Brilliant.

4.      Bus lanes
(Oh my stars, but this installment is getting long, so I’ll stop after this.)
a.       In a city more populous than any in the US, and in one with twice the population density as NYC, one might think getting around is a nightmare.  Well, indeed, traffic can get snarly.  And indeed, traffic is constant.  (With a view over one of the busiest streets in Seoul, I assure you, it is constant!  I am up until 1:30 or 2 most night, and still, there is a steady flow of cars on the street below.)  Ah, but (and I know my friend Mike probably knows this already) Seoul has a grand public and mass transportation system.  And I’ve not even ventured onto the subway yet!  I’m more familiar, thus far, with buses. 
b.      The first thing I love are the bus lanes.  These are lanes in the center of the street, one in each direction, reserved solely for buses.    (Yes, bus stops are built in there too---in a median in the street.)  Even when traffic is at its snarliest (according to spell-check, that is not a word.  Well, my blog; my word, yes?)  Ah—so even when traffic is at its snarliest, the buses have no problem.  (And do people ever respect the lanes!  One night, while JW was taking me home (he won’t let me ride the bus when class ends at 11pm), he accidentally got into a bus lane.  We had two passengers in the back seat (the other Administrator of the local law school and her friend), and all three of them were frantic with worry until he could safely slide back into the lane for cars.)
c.       Also with the buses and transportation system, each trip is less than $1.  Usually, there is a flat rate of only ₩1,000 (just less than a dollar at today’s conversion rate), but if you’ve a bus card, it is only ₩900.   (I have Googled and Googled, yet I do not know if it is ₩1,000 or 1,000₩; I will find out soon.  Or—do any of you know?)  Not only is a ride less than a dollar, but if you make any transfers to another bus or to a subway within thirty minutes, there is no new charge.  That’s anywhere in the city, folks, for less than one US dollar.  Fabulous!

That’s a good start.  ;-)  Stay tuned, though, for future Things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment