Sunday, June 19, 2011

Forging New Friendships

I finally met my host---the director of the program.  What a delightful lunch we shared.  And what fun laughs we had about the Buddhist philosophy he shared with me:  your children represent your creditors from a past life.  And your spouse---the enemies.  We celebrated that I clearly had such a wonderful past life so as to reward me in the current one.  (He insisted I order the Western lunch. I shared that I was eager to try Korean food, but I did not insist; I figured perhaps it was better to wait until we knew each other better.)

After lunch, he took me on a tour of SNU, his alma mater.  During the tour, he shared a bit of history:  the university used to be in the heart of the old city, but the students made too much noise---demonstrations as much as, if not more so, general college student noise seemed to be the issue.  And so, a bit over thirty-five years ago, the university was moved out of town to a location that had previously been a golf course.  We noted the developing architectural styles that have changed with each decade. 

My move has been delayed until Sunday.   Granted, ideally I would settle in sooner.  On the other hand, I am still very busy wrapping up the online course I taught this summer….the one that ended at 4pm the day before I flew out at 6am.  Um Hm.  I was taking a break this summer, remember?  But my students from the online course had their final assignment due while I was somewhere over the Pacific, and I assured them I would make comments as soon as I could.  I’ll also host a live review session Sunday morning (their Saturday evening), as they have their final exam on Monday. 

Even with the work, I finished up in time to head to the café near Hoam to enjoy a Cass draft and delight in watching some children play in the fountain.  I know that moving “into the city” tomorrow will bring much change.  Thus, I’ll relish this quiet and this green for the afternoon.


I must say that meeting my host allayed many of the worries and fears I had about this adventure.   I felt an immediate ease with him.  I have a feeling this is going to be a wonderful relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment